Friday, April 8, 2011

hogle zoo

For Spring Break we decided to take the kids to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City one day. It has been at least 2 years since we have been, and we knew CJ and CD would enjoy it.

Here's a bit of background info for my first story - Anytime we go on a trip that lasts longer than an hour, we let the kids watch a movie. So they don't get tunnel vision and only watch the movie and get car sick, every once in awhile we will encourage them to find something outside of the car. Also, because of our business I visit FedEx at least 2 times a month usually with the kids in tow. So CD, even though she can't read, recognizes the FedEx logo and knows what it is.

Now here's my short story... At one point on our drive we were passing by a FedEx truck. CD had been transfixed to the movie, so I asked her to look at the truck and tell me what it was. She immediately says, "FedEx!". Then for the rest of the trip (there and back) CD somehow saw every single FedEx sign we passed. She kept saying, "I see FedEx!" and she would get so excited about it. It was just funny to see and hear how many times she found FedEx that day.

The zoo was a hit like we knew it would be. The first thing we had to do of course was ride the train. We waited way too long for such a short ride, but you can't go to the zoo without riding the train.

We saw lots of animals and did lots of walking. CJ and CD did awesome and never complained about being tired. However, by the end of the day I could tell both of them (especially CD) were done. LM was most awesome and amazing. She sat in her stroller, got in and out of her stroller, and never cried and never slept! She was definitely a trooper!



One more story.  We bought tickets for the kids to ride the carousal.  I knew CJ would love it and CD would be nervous.  Nervous doesn't even begin to describe it.  She was TERRIFIED!  But I was a mean mom and forced her to ride.  I told her that if she wouldn't and couldn't ride the carousal that she couldn't go to Disneyland. (which is something we are hoping to do in the future).  After it got going and she got used to the movement she did really well.  She was nervous the whole time, but she conquered her fear!  I think she even had fun.  As soon as we got off the carousal, what did she say?.. "Now I go to Disneyland!"

CJ's favorite animals to see were the elephants and the giraffe. CD's favorite animals to see were any kind of cats and the elephants. Both kids really liked seeing the baby elephant. Jon didn't have a favorite animal. As for me, I always love the monkey's and apes. I found one gorilla quite fascinating and could have stayed and watched it for awhile, but didn't.

We were glad we took the time to have some fun and take the kids to the Hogle Zoo. We picked the best day to go too since it was the only day that didn't rain or snow during our "spring" break.

No comments: