Sunday, January 16, 2011

a little adventure

** Here's a little background to help my story make a bit more sense.  CD started preschool in December.  Last week they started helping her potty train by making her wear underwear during school.  She has enjoyed wearing the underwear so much that she asks to wear it on top of her diaper while at home.  And here's our adventure...

Yesterday we decided to do something fun and spontaneous as a family - something that Jon wanted to do since he doesn't get to do too many things he wants being away from home so much.  So we decided to go down to Salt Lake to the Auto Show at the South Towne Expo Center.  It probably has been about 5 years since we have gone to the show and obviously we have never taken three kids with us.  We knew it was bound to be an adventure with 3 kids - we just didn't know how big of an adventure.

The kids weren't too entertained by the cars, especially since when we first walked in we happened to be by a place where playground sets were available to play on, there were scooters to ride, and many basketball tosses set up.  The kids just wanted to stay there instead of look at cars, so I convinced the kids to go on a treasure hunt.  I encouraged CD to find a pink car (not knowing if we'd find one) and told CJ to find all the blue cars he could.  So off we went on our treasure hunt.

And lo and behold, look what we found!  --all our pictures were taken on our phones and didn't turn out too well.  sorry--
a blue car for CJ


and a pink car for CD!


Jon liked this one - a Jeep Wrangler - and I happened to love the color of it

And here is where the real adventure begins.  I had to stop looking at the cars to feed LM, so we sat down in the back of the building by some restrooms where I could be out of the way to feed LM her bottle.  So while I fed Jon took CJ and CD to keep looking.  This is what they found.

Bumblebee from Transformers

and a Corvette Jon claims is on Transformers too
 After Jon took the picture of the Corvette, he turned around and CD was gone.  GONE.  She had disappeared on him.  He quickly looked around him and then immediately phoned me to tell me that CD was missing.  I hurried and put LM back in the car seat on the stroller and headed off to look for CD.  We frantically walked around the building for about 10 minutes looking.  We told the security people there and they called everyone on their walkie-talkies and gave a description of CD.  Jon and I both kept thinking that we needed to check by the bathrooms.  I quickly looked in the one I had been in - after I left the area - and didn't see anything.  After looking around separately Jon and I both ended up back at the same bathroom where I had been.  Just as I was arriving Jon was asking a lady who had been cleaning the bathroom and was leaving if there was a little girl in there.  We heard her say, "your daddy is out here looking for you."  And then CD appeared walking around the corner of the bathroom.  What a relief!

Now believe it or not, but this is where the story gets interesting and kind of funny.  After finding CD we were going to start looking at cars again when CD kept telling me that she wanted to sit on the potty - she never does this at home and remember, she still wears diapers.  So I decided I may as well changer her diaper and we went into the bathroom.  We went into a large stall wear CD proceeded to pull down her pants.  When she did this I discovered she had her underwear on wrong - both legs in one leg - and she had on NO diaper.  Apparently when she disappeared she took herself to the bathroom, went in a stall (which is why I probably didn't see her when I looked for her), took off her shoes, her pants, her underwear, and then her diaper.  Before leaving the bathroom she put her underwear back on (wrong), her pants on correctly, and put her shoes back on.  Had I not decided to take her in the bathroom to change her diaper, I would have had no idea she had done all of that.  As we were leaving the bathroom, I saw her diaper sitting on the floor of another stall.  Silly, silly girl.

Before leaving the Auto Show we stopped and let the kids play with some Legos.  They were suppose to create a car and then race it.  CJ made a very cool car and actually won a race against a much older kid.  He didn't get anything for it - he was just able to have a moment of fun.

We finally decided to end our adventurous evening with one last adventure.  So we took the kids to eat at the Mayan Adventure.  They seemed to like it and we had a good time.



Overall it was a good day - even if we didn't get home until after 8pm.  We were just extremely grateful that we found CD safe and sound after disappearing in such a large place with lots and lots of people!  What a blessing!

No comments: